Re: crazy weather/ flooding

I'm not sure of exact code requirements, I'm not much of a numbers person,
all newer construction areas (since the 70's I'm guessing)  are built on
raised area above the street.  All driveways and front yards slope down to  the
street....for runoff and prevent flooding. Problem was that the older  areas were
flooding badly, since they were level with the streets and much lower  than
the newer areas.  There was so much new construction in wetland areas  where
the water used to go.  This caused bad flooding, as seen with Allison  some
years back.  Now the law is to have retention ponds every so  often.   In more
expensive neighborhoods these are disguised as  elaborate ponds with rock
formations, plantings, etc.  In other areas, the  plan is to plant them with native
wetland plants.  Others are native  grasses which are kept mowed
(unfortunately).  We have a lot of bayous that  run throughout the city, especially in my
neighborhood, which used to be one of  those wetlands.  When I tell a long time
resident of Houston where I live,  they always say, "oh yes, the rice
patties".   Apparently for  generations this entire area was used to farm rice.  We do
have parks on  either side of our subdivision that have natural and man made
lakes.  Great  for the wildlife, and viewing of birds in our area.  We used to
live in the  "country", but not anymore at all...so the parks alleviate that
feeling of  claustrophobia for me.

Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 3/11/2006 11:02:32 PM Central Standard Time,