Re: hummingbirds NOW Tomato Hornworms

Apparently the growers in Florida ship everything everywhere at the same time each year. Here there are plenty of great plants around at the beginning of April. I can't blame anybody for buying. Yesterday I bought something too -- a 5-gallon Jane magnolia. It was $15. I thought it was a deal.

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, March 11, 2006 8:23 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] hummingbirds NOW Tomato Hornworms

The part about 1992 made me laugh. I was at Home Depot today to replace
some lopping shears, and I had to smile at all the people buying flowers
for their yards. It was in the upper 70s today, but our last frost date is
April 15. Two years ago we had snow on April 14. Admitedly it warmed
right back up, but some people have shorter memories than I do. :-)
Hi Zem,

  The same thing happens here every year.  Unfortunately, it's also the
  only way for me to get good annuals -- so I end up buying them a month
  early and storing them on the deck, bringing them in as necessary.

  Otherwise there's nothing left to buy by May 15 (our frost-free date).