Re: Spring

I had to look up Casita to find out what you meant. Looks like it would be handy. I think Chris' roof is fabric, we use one of those at our display gardens when we have open house. I recognized the frame. You made some good suggestions. With some adjustments I think he can make it work. I wonder if a few stategic holes in the fabric for drainage would work. They'd need to be stitched or grommeted so they wouldn't tear.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, March 12, 2006 10:26 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Spring

Although you folks are probably not as exposed to wind
as I am... but those shelters are not made to
withstand extremes.

For instance, if you look at his picture, you will
notice the edge of the roofing has a sag- water will
accumulate in there and bring it down. Chris needs to
stretch it taughter so the water rolls completely off
it.

They also can't take weight on the roof- i.e. snow.
Make sure you run a heater in there the minute it
starts snowing so it melts it and runs off. A few
stategically places 2X4's for extra support in the
middle helps too on the extreme days.

What I can't tell is if it a cloth or plastic type
roof... the plastic (similar to a tarp with plastic
reinforced fibers) doesn't last in the sun either....

That said, since he is using it as a temp shelter till
the weather gets better and a weekend up and down
thing, he will probably make it the season.

Another thought for Chris is to line it with a rabbit
fence. All that new green will bring them right inside
to do some munching....

Had I know Chris was looking for something like this,
I am putting a casida screen house for sale in the
paper in the next few weeks when folks are thinking
that way... much sturdier, although the roof and snow
would still be an issue. We used these at the summer
place all the time, but decided here, we would
probably never use it, so time to get rid of the
clutter....

Donna

--- Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net> wrote:

The shelter looks like it will be roomy, Chris, and
easily accessible. Our
temps for the next 10 days look good. Right now it
is 55F; the forecast
shows a low point on St Patrick's Day of 35/20 but
then it comes up again.
I usually wait until the end of March to uncover my
pots outside. They're
covered with shredded leaves and huddled against the
house in 2 places. I
first uncover them and then if the long term
forecast looks good, I'll move
them out into the open in sun to warm their pots so
their roots can wake up.

Are your roll down sides part of the original tent
or is it something you
made yourself? I'd like to see more photos with the
plants under the canopy
and with the sides attached.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5

> I spent time setting up my portable shelter/tent
on the deck yesterday:

> http://hort.net/+138k
> http://hort.net/+138l
>
> Today I moved lots of plants out of the garage
onto shelves under it,
> and mostly dismantled the large cinderblock cold
frame in the middle
> of the yard.
>
> The tent has roll-down sides that I'll use when
the weather gets cold
> again, and it offers me a place to work that's dry
and not too crowded.
> It will also come in handy if I ever sell at
farmer's markets or anything.

> I also cleaned up the flowerbeds, but I'll have to
wait until the leaves
> dry to remove those. Oh, and most importantly, I
cleaned up a winter's
> worth of dog poop in the back yard. :)
>
> In terms of what's blooming, mostly it's crocus
and snowdrops here,
> although I saw lots of things starting to pop out
of the ground. There
> are a some peony tips, Salvia koyamae is bursting
forth, and lots more.