From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Daryl
Sent: Sunday, March 12, 2006 3:38 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Re: crazy weather/ flooding

I think it makes no sense to build in a flood plain. Period.

In parts of the Panhandle of Florida (floodplain-former swamp)  they keep
increasing the berm on which a house must stand. Because of that, the older
houses are being flooded even more often by run-off from the new ones, and
the disturbance of the water flow through the bogs.

In the 60's and 70's people laughed when they were told not to build in some
areas of Northern New Jersey because of the flooding. They did anyway
because of the land prices/builder greed.
Just listen to the weather channel when there's a bit of a storm, and Wayne,
and Oakland and Pompton Plains are evacuated yet again by boat. Now, local
governments have buy-out programs.  Bah, humbug!

At least I no longer live in that state, and have to pay taxes for that
particular buyout.