Re: Now I know it's spring

Saturday my granddaughter and I were walking the dogs in a grassy area when, much to my horror, I spotted a copper head about 2-1/2 feet long just lying there having a sun bath. I quickly called my older dog, who was not on a leash, and pulled Otis away. He, of course, was very disappointed to have missed whatever it was that got me so animated. The snake didn't even notice us, and I'm sure he wouldn't have cared if he did. They are pretty lethargic this time of the year. Just made me realize I need to be extra careful when handling pots at the nursery.
zone 7
West TN
To: "Garden Chat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2006 12:40 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Now I know it's spring

I've always relied on the mockingbirds to tell me when spring is really here. I was in the parking lot at the bank today--trying to find the end of my seat-belt so I could buckle it and avoid going to prison for an indeterminate sentence--when I heard this terrible ruckus. I looked up to see a feisty mockingbird kicking the crap out of a crow in mid-air. The crow was about ten times the size of the mockingbird. It was a classic battle, like a Saracen on his Arabian pony attacking a crusader on his plough horse. Yep, spring's here for certain.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10