Re: Getting impatient

Hey Melody-
Regarding dividing really tough roots, I've found a pruning saw way easier than a spade it. Just saw it in half- for those of us who lack big shoulder muscles, this is way easier than trying to stab through the roots with a spade.

Theresa

Melody wrote:

Saturday was an absolutely gorgeous day here...temp of 76, partly
cloudy...spent the entire day in the garden doing clean-up...even
skipped Mass (went Sunday a.m. instead!) so I could keep working outside
while it lasted. Of course, by Saturday night it was storming and by
yesterday it was positively frigid again! That's the midwest in spring,
I guess. Felt so darned good to be down on my hands and knees, digging
in the soil! And not to have to think about anything except what I was
doing right at that moment...it was blissful! We are all doing okay
here...not great, but okay and sometimes that is enough! The winter is
always kind of hard on us as a family since we live in a very small
house and the enforced confinement of winter has us bickering alot by
the end of it all, but now that we can all start getting some outdoors
time, things will get better...thanks for asking...it means alot!

So...got an actual gardening question...how long do you think I should
let all the dirt settle that we had to dump into the collapsed cistern
last year before it is safe to assume it won't settle anymore? Couple of
years? And in the meantime, what do I do with that pile of dirt to
disguise it a bit?? Obviously we are going to have to relocate the water
feature that was there...and I've got to get in back there to rescue the
lovely iris, lady's mantle, huechera, and grasses that are there...any
thoughts on the best way to divide zebra grass? The root masses are
tough and last year when I tried to divide them using a spade, I didn't
have much luck at all...okay read that as none! :-)

Melody Hills, IA zone 5

Work for the Lord: the pay isn't much but the retirement is out of this world!