From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Christopher P. Lindsey
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2006 11:37 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Hydrangeas (was Wisteria question)

> I purchased the two I have specifically because the garden center said
> (as did the descriptive material on the plant) it would weather zone 5
winters.
> Hmmm.  It is under a large old cottonwood but gets the morning sun
> from the East and a good deal of mid-day filtered sun from the South.
> Where it is, it doesn't get a lot of wind and it doesn't look like it
> has died back to the ground.  I'll keep a closer watch on it this spring.

Hi Bonnie,

   You mean the Hydrangea paniculata 'Grandiflora'?  Those bloom on new
   wood anyhow, so it shouldn't make a difference if it dies back to the
   ground.

   If it's not blooming there I would say that lack of sun and water
   would probably be the problem.  The cottonwood might be taking up all
   available water, so you might want to try giving it some extra this
   summer along with a heavy layer of mulch to keep it moist.

Chris