From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Kitty
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2006 12:01 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Re: Wisteria question

Hydrangeas are so easy from cuttings that I've never tried them from seed.

I found this on a website:
"....After seeds have germinated, feed with 1/2 strength liquid feed ...They
should be transplanted about one month after germination into 4" pots. Top
feed with osmocote (a pinch) for each pot. Keep watered in June and July.
Plants can be pinched (remove the tips) about August 1st. This gives the
plants time to flush a new growth that will actually set buds and flower the
following year. "

Sounds like they can bloom pretty quickly from seed.  However, if it were to
occur that soon, I would consider disbudding them so their energy would go
into the plant's structure rather than into flower and seed so early in the
plant's life.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5