To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, March 17, 2006 5:51 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Baby bunnies

Spring is definitly here!

Despite nighttime temps in the lower 20s, the signs are all around us here.
Plants are popping up overnight, buds are breaking, and the birds start
chirping first thing in the morning.

The best sign yet is one that Romeo uncovered just a few minutes ago. He
seemed inordinately interested in one of my sedges, so I called him away
and went to see what was there.

It looked like a dead animal of some sort, so I pushed away a big mass
of fur with a stick only to uncover five tiny little baby rabbits. They
were so young that their eyes hadn't even opened yet. Romeo managed to
move one out (but didn't hurt it), so I put it back into the nest with
the rest. They're so warm and soft (but not very hairy yet).

I wnated to take a picture, but I also didn't want to disrupt them too
much. It's cold out there and I'm sure their nest was much nicer. :)

Now I need to figure out how to put a cage around so that Mother Rabbit
can get in, but Romeo can't.

So much for a rabbit-free yard! Once they're big enough I guess I'll
chase them out.

Chris