From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Kitty
Sent: Saturday, March 18, 2006 9:39 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Help with H. americana!

Donna, Chris had to get started somewhere/sometime.  Some of the plants he
just couldn't get until spring.  Since his catalog hasn't actually debuted,
he can simply decide not to offer something that doesn't meet his
expectations for quality.   In those cases, he CAN now grow them on for fall

or 2007 sales.  If this means he has a smaller offering on his first run,
it's understandable for a first catalog and he'll have more to offer next
time.

He's getting his plants in now.  But the catalog isn't out there yet, so the
plants aren't getting a quick turn getting reshipped all that quickly.  He
could be shipping in late April and in May.  That's time for those plants to
get stronger. It's spring and they have stored energy that will help them
through stresses.

You make some valid points and I know you are doing so to help Chris.  These
are things he should be thinking about.  I think though, that he'll have the
time to assess which plants are of proper quality to offer now and pull
those not up to par from his catalog before it goes out.  He could also
leave items like the Hepatica in with a "rubber stamp" on the page that says
"Available in Fall" or "Available 2007".  I've seen other catalogs do this.
This makes an item that didn't meet expectations this year but too late to
make catalog changes, look more like a preview of coming attractions than a
failure.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5