To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, March 18, 2006 10:11 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Help with H. americana!

oh Lordy- I am going to probably make this worse- but

Part of the problem was I was thought I was talking to
him off list- but somehow it got back to on

I have known Chris for a long time- longer than some
of you, and mostly off lists. What I DO know, is he is
an excellent plantsman- he know plants- in every
aspect. He is the person I went to when I had issues!
He researches everything- to the point of being
riduclas- which is good, but...that makes him all the
better in his new quest.

There is NO doubt in my mind that he will offer
quality plants or hold them back if they are not up to
his standards, which are pretty darn high - higher
than my own.

I was attempting to explain some marketing and issues
I had been through and what worked. We made a lot of
mistakes in the beginning- just trying to get him past
those without having to go thru it. Kitty, I am sure
that you could also offer advice in that respect (as
well as some others here, but since we are not in the
trade business, we can offer that more readily). Of
course, you do it with more tact instead of my usual
just blurting it out.

And to sum it up- why do you think I keep asking when
the catalog will be on line- I am planning on getting
a couple things ..... and if I truely believed that
something was wrong with his plan, I wouldn't be doing

--- Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net> wrote:

Donna, Chris had to get started somewhere/sometime.
Some of the plants he
just couldn't get until spring. Since his catalog
hasn't actually debuted,
he can simply decide not to offer something that
doesn't meet his
expectations for quality. In those cases, he CAN
now grow them on for fall
or 2007 sales. If this means he has a smaller
offering on his first run,
it's understandable for a first catalog and he'll
have more to offer next

He's getting his plants in now. But the catalog
isn't out there yet, so the
plants aren't getting a quick turn getting reshipped
all that quickly. He
could be shipping in late April and in May. That's
time for those plants to
get stronger. It's spring and they have stored
energy that will help them
through stresses.

You make some valid points and I know you are doing
so to help Chris. These
are things he should be thinking about. I think
though, that he'll have the
time to assess which plants are of proper quality to
offer now and pull
those not up to par from his catalog before it goes
out. He could also
leave items like the Hepatica in with a "rubber
stamp" on the page that says
"Available in Fall" or "Available 2007". I've seen
other catalogs do this.
This makes an item that didn't meet expectations
this year but too late to
make catalog changes, look more like a preview of
coming attractions than a

neIN, Zone 5