Re: Baby bunnies

> >It looked like a dead animal of some sort, so I pushed away a big mass
> >of fur with a stick only to uncover
>
> So what WAS the big mass the bunnies were under?

Oh yeah!

It was just fur.  I don't know if rabbits can shed at will, but this one
looks like it lost about a pound.  The fur was nicely packed into the
nest in a little dome over the bunnies.

I built a cage last night and cut a small hole in the side so that Mother
Rabbit could get in and then staked the whole thing into the ground, but
it looks like Romeo was tenacious and knocked the whole thing over last
night.  :(  Although I suppose it could've been a predator as well.

To make things worse, the den is empty and the fur that lined is now
everywhere, along with a half dozen sedges that *were* growing nearby.

I only hope that they got out in time.  I didn't see any carnage -- I
searched everywhere to check.  I figured if they were eaten their might
have been something left.  And I know Romeo's not a gulper; he chews
peanuts before swallowing them.

Oh well.  They were cute, and I'm glad that I got to have the experience
of seeing them last night.

Chris