Re: Brix

Yes, I was quite amazed at your depth of understanding of the subject Donna!
Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, March 18, 2006 7:37 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Brix

--- Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net> wrote:

A good guess.  What's a Refractive Index?
Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
The refractive index of a material is the most
important property of any optical system that uses
refraction. It is used to calculate the focusing power
of lenses, and the dispersive power of prisms.

Since refractive index is a fundamental physical
property of a substance, it is often used to identify
a particular substance, confirm its purity, or measure
its concentration. Refractive index is used to measure
solids (glasses and gemstones), liquids, and gasses.
Most commonly it is used to measure the concentration
of a solute in an aqueous solution. A refractometer is
the instrument used to measure refractive index. For a
solution of sugar, the refractive index can be used to
determine the sugar content.

and for Island Jim...

For fruit juices, one degree Brix is about 1-2% sugar
by weight. This usually correlates well with perceived
sweetness.

Donna
Ha Ha... and you all thought I just happened to know
all this info right... LOL!.. well now I do.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brix