RE: Brix

Let us know how the project goes.

Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of james singer
Sent: Sunday, March 19, 2006 7:42 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Brix

I've got a couple of seedlings I've selected--one Surinam cherry; one
loquat--for various reasons. I want to see how they measure up with known
varieties, and sugar is an important factor. They are superior to most other
varieties in fruit size [larger] and seed-to-flesh ratio [both <2 seeds per
fruit]; but sugar has got to be at least equal or I don't have anything.

On Mar 18, 2006, at 9:13 PM, Donna wrote:

> what are you trying to accomplish Jim? A better crop of fruit via the
> right fertalizing regime? Or by picking the best brix mixture in your
> current trees, graphing a new something out of two kinds?
> just curious...
> Donna
> --- james singer <islandjim1@verizon.net> wrote:
>> Thanks, Donna. I heard from a guy who used to be a honey buyer and he
>> said much the same--although brix measurement of plant sap/juice is
>> based on sucrose [1 degree = 1 percent, more or less], it's close
>> enough with other sugars to assume the same. So, we're talking
>> ballpark, but if ballpark is good enough for Robert Mondavi, it's
>> good enough for me.
Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W