Re: Baby bunnies NOW Discouraging Neighborhood Cats

> Prickly bushes do work very well in discouraging cats.  My Chestnut rose is
> just huge and safely houses a multitude of small birds.  The same holds
> true for an enormouse multiflora rose.  The large birds can just fly higher
> in the trees.

With a 60x60 backyard I don't want to take up too much room on prickly
plants.  Especially since it can come in from three sides...  It's a
great idea, though!

My neighbor behind me used to come into my yard looking for her cat all
of the time.  She would walk through all of the flowerbeds calling her
cat.  Later she cut a hole in her fence and put a screen over it so that
she could just crawl through that to get in instead of having to walk
around the block.

She's a very nice lady, but that annoyed me to no end.  I remember working
on the deck two summers ago and watching her climb through; then her husband
came through from the front of the house.  I set down my hammer and just
watched them, waiting for them to acknowledge me or explain what they were
doing.  No such luck -- they just walked through my yard without saying
a thing until I finally asked what was up a few minutes later.

That was when I decided to plant a Poncirus trifoliata (hardy orange) right
under the hole in the fence.  Shortly thereafter she replaced that whole
section of fence -- sans hole.

If you're not familiar with the plant, check out the thorns here: