Re: Hydrangeas (was Wisteria question)

We got some small Sadies in last year and planted them in a nursery bed.
The blooms were really nice. They'll be ready to be dug next month and offered for sale. looking forward to seeing them perform.

neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, March 19, 2006 3:46 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Hydrangeas (was Wisteria question)

I have endless summer and am not impressed. Last
summer it kept wilting by the time I got home. Going
to move it away from the brick wall this spring in the
hopes it will do better. I can't imagine how it would
take the heat in California...as it was suffering in
Maybe you should try 'Sadie Ray' -- it was found at a farmhouse
in Indiana where it grew for 50 years.  With that kind of track
record in the Midwest it might perform better for you.

Here's the description from my catalog:

  Summer doesn't have to end just because you don't have a hydrangea
  by that name.

  In fact, it's my belief that these so-called 'neverending summer'
  hydrangeas are just an effort by a certain nursery to sucker
  customers. The formula is simple: patent and trademark your plant
  so that nobody else can propagate it or use that name, market the heck
  out of it, and then charge whatever you want. (See my essay earlier in
  the catalog about this issue).  But there are alternatives out there,
  and Sadie Ray is one of the better ones.

  Discovered by Tim Eizinger of Rochester, Indiana on a plant that
  has bloomed every year for 50 years on new wood, this adorable
  mophead-style Hydrangea will still bloom in northern gardens even
  after being killed back to the ground by excessive cold.

  The flowers will appear pink or blue in alkaline or acidic soil
  (respectively), so be sure to check the pH where you plant it if you
  want a specific color.

Thanks to Kitty for turning me on to this plant. :)