To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, March 19, 2006 8:30 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Re: bunnies/ edibles

Went to a NPSOT (TX. Native plant society) meeting the other night. The
program was on edible natives. The guest speaker had prepared the entire table
of refreshments for us, with among other things....Yaupon tea and Sassafras
tea to drink. Hors d'eauvres of dips with various natives. Salads of
dandilion flowers/leaves and root, Redbud and Mexican Plum flowers, and what I liked
the most......flowers and leaves of the Oxalis. They also had a plate of
Red maple seeds.....the winged type, but you only eat the nut part. Ugh, that
was probably the least appetizing of them all. We were told that they were
most nutritious though.....but we all figured you'd have to be starving to
eat those over the other things.
It was most interesting program....and made even nicer by being able to try
the things in person. I might have read about eating a blossom from the
Redbud, but probably would not have attempted it. My favorite, that I will
definitely do, is add the Oxalis leaves and flowers to salads....that really
tasted great.
So....not just for bunnies......people too.
Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 3/19/2006 11:02:42 AM Central Standard Time,