Re: Are we ready?

As long as one encourages the anoles to thrive, bugs are no problem, Cyndi. In the last 10 years, we've had only one cucuracha sneak past the anole brigade and get into the house--and an ever-vigilant cat got it. The anoles do an amazing job on mosquitos, too, considering this place is mostly swamp beyond the interstate and behind the developers' signs.

That said, the desert has a great charm completely missing in the subtropics. Raising sheep here, for instance, is out of the question [foot rot]. And forget any low-chill crop, such as apples or peaches. On the other hand, the minimal temperature swings are conducive to many premium-market fruits--such as avocados, citrus, mangos--and nearly year-round vegetable crops.

On Mar 20, 2006, at 2:31 PM, Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT wrote:

I'm not sure why field corn. Just a "let's try it", I guess - we'll grind
some if it turns out, but we don't eat much starchy stuff. Maybe he
remembers the farm his parents used to own - he was pretty little when they
sold it.
I had a harder time than I expected tracking down what he wants. Field corn
equates to flint corn, or dent corn, as far as I can tell. Most of what's
sold in sizes for home gardeners is for ornamental use. He doesn't want red
or pink or any color but yellow. So far I can only find a couple places that
look like what he wants. I told him let's just buy a sack of feed corn and
try sprouting it, might work just fine. We can feed the rest to the sheep.
I'm sure tired of being cold. Florida's starting to sound pretty good. Too
bad about all those bugs.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of james singer
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 11:03 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Are we ready?

Your weekend sounded great, Cyndi. Why does DH want to grow field corn?
Make his own cornmeal? I did that once; good part is you can store it
nearly forever on the cob and grind it only as you need it--so you can
grow 2 or 3 year's worth at one time.

We just planted our second crop of tomatoes this weekend. The first
crop--a variety called "Window Box Roma"--was really much better than
expected. Mature plants were about 3 feet in diameter and 2 feet high.
Determinant producers, they each produced 3 to 4 dozen fruits over a 3
week period. We'll definitely do those for our early crop again next