From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of TeichFlora@aol.com
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 2:27 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] Re: dogs

Donna, this is exactly what happened with our Chow.  She had been  going
blind slowly for some time.  We left the Xmas lights up for her, so  she
could see
at night to go potty, since she had a few episodes where she fell  into the
pond, or got herself stuck places that she could not get out.  But  she was
doing okay all in all, we thought...just signs of aging.  In the  past week
or so
(maybe a little longer) she's been acting kind of  odd.  We thought she had
doggy Alzheimers.  She would walk into stuff  and insist on going through
Not like before where she just could  not see, it's as if she INSISTED on
going straight ahead no matter what....no  matter if something was in the
way or
not.  Figured it was because she  could only see directly infront of
but  I had to save her several  times from getting herself into areas that
could not find her way  out. Then she would sit and could not stand up.
Figured that was old  age too, but that too got worse. We had grown really
concerned about her,  and brought her in more and more, and would not let
her go out
without  supervision. Vet said she had mini strokes, that's why she all of a

sudden  would drag her hind end.  But after a few minutes she could walk
I thought it was just old achy  bones.   Then a few nights ago she had a
siezure.  It  was just like an epiliptic fit.  I read in the vet book that
it was
either  epilepsy or brain tumor.   So we took her to the Vet,  he said that
she indeed had a brain tumor, common in older dogs...and  that it would just
worse and worse.  He recommended putting her to  sleep right then and there.

Was sad, but at least she doesn't have to  suffer anymore.  She was such a
good dog to the very  end. She never showed signs of pain, but the Vet said
least the last  couple days, she probably was.   Poor thing, I miss her, but
least  now she's not suffering.
Thanks for caring!!
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast
In a message dated 3/20/2006 8:24:43 AM Central Standard Time,