From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of james singer
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 12:33 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Are we ready?

As long as one encourages the anoles to thrive, bugs are no problem,
Cyndi. In the last 10 years, we've had only one cucuracha sneak past
the anole brigade and get into the house--and an ever-vigilant cat got
it. The anoles do an amazing job on mosquitos, too, considering this
place is mostly swamp beyond the interstate and behind the developers'
signs.

That said, the desert has a great charm completely missing in the
subtropics. Raising sheep here, for instance, is out of the question
[foot rot]. And forget any low-chill crop, such as apples or peaches.
On the other hand, the minimal temperature swings are conducive to many
premium-market fruits--such as avocados, citrus, mangos--and nearly
year-round vegetable crops.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W