Looking for the weekend!

We finally are having some nice days, I hope it lasts through the weekend.
I'm helping at a garage sale tomorrow but Sunday I have much planting to do.
I bought a whole bunch o' stuff at Theodore Payne's (my poor credit card!),
and my order from Forestfarm showed up too so there is no shortage of
I'm going to get serious about trying to hide the neighbor in back of us but
the plants I put in have to be tough. Thus all the natives from Payne's. I
bought 3 different kinds of saltbush - atriplex polycarpa, atriplex
canescens, and atriplex lentiformis. None of them are terribly attractive
but they will take just about anything. We have atriplex canescens already
back there and it is about 7' tall now, the quail just love to hide in it.
Since another of my wants is to provide cover and food for birds I'm hoping
they all do well. Considering how much less habitat the critters have these
days they might need my place.
What is it about developers anyway. There are millions of acres of flat
desert out here with nothing on it but rabbitbush tumbleweeds and alkali. Do
they build there, NO, they buy up the juniper woodland in the foothills, the
places with the biggest biodiversity we have here - hundreds and hundreds of
species - and then they bulldoze it, pave it and put up houses. Makes me so
mad I could spit. Not to mention that part of what is currently being
bulldozed used to be city nature park, the city just rolled over and showed
the developers their throat. Sure, take whatever you want, just promise us
taxes. Citizen complaints are met with smiles and nods and no action. Of
course now the housing bubble is popping, who knows maybe they'll just stop
after bulldozing everything.
Oops didn't mean to go on a rant.
Anyway. I also bought 3 sambucus mexicana, an elderberry, as an experiment.
There is one growing in a canyon where we go hiking on the weekends. Not too
far from my house but a little higher in elevation and probably more
sheltered. Who knows it may have found a little pocket to tap into for
water. But it is there so I will see if I can grow one too.
Second experiment, I bought two different mesquites: screwbean mesquite,
prosopis pubescens, and honey mesquite, prosopis glandulosa. I see them
growing here where I work but there are none near where I live, so we'll
see. Beautiful once they get a little size to them but you don't want to get
too close - major thorns on those plants.
Third experiment, this one I'm not all that hopeful, arctostaphylos glauca
aka big berry manzanita. Never seen one growing so far as I know. But the
description sounded like it might live and I love manzanitas, it might make
it. If none of my experiments work then next year it's more saltbush! And
they might not...I have already tried fremontodendron and matilija poppy
back there, neither lived. Course you know what they say, try it three
I bought the hakonecheloa (sp?) grass from Forestfarm, and a few nandinas -
the dwarf "Firepower" ones - and a dwarf oakleaf hydrangea...ummmm...can't
remember the name now. The japanese garden needs more work than I thought
due to the gophers eating a lot of my liriope around the teahouse edge. That
may have to wait for a while though.
Can't wait for the weekend.