To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, March 25, 2006 5:11 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Re: Help with H. americana!

Andrea....not Kitty, but I have received numerous lovely, large and
healthy plants from Greer over the years.  Harold Greer, who owns it,
is a world class authority on rhododendrons.  You should get a good

Your cyclamen tubers should be fine if what you planted them in has
good drainage and you can keep them cool but not freezing.  Keep
moist but not wet.  Which species Cyclamen?

No words of wisdom on Penstemon; I only kill them on contact.  Don't
grow Erigeron.  Verbascum, if in leaf, is going to want as much light
as you can muster and good drainage.

I should imagine all the above would do better in a cool to cold but
not freezing location.  The cooler it is, the slower they'll start
into major growth, which is best if they have to be indoors.  If you
don't have enough window, get one of those standard shop lights at
Home Despot or Lowes; they're not expensive; and hang it above where
you're keeping the plants and leave it on 24x7.  Seems to work in my
garage.  Start schlepping them out during the day if it's above
freezing, if you can manage it.  I don't know if they were greenhouse
grown or field grown but even if field grown, Greer is in a milder
climate than you are, so I should imagine they'd need hardening off
before you put them out.

You need a cold frame, lady, if you can't manage a greenhouse!  Would
make your life easier all the way around:-)  You could make one of
straw bales and plastic for winter use.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Shadyside Garden Designs

From: raider843@earthlink.net

Kitty, have you had good luck with Greer? I ordered an Azalea 'Anna
from them today. They were the ONLY nursery that had it that I
could find.
I'm paying through the nose for it but I desperately want to
replace the
one I left behind when I moved.

Beaufort, SC Zone 8b

I hope