Re: Re: Help with H. americana!

You're welcome, Kitty.. Well, with little root on the Cyclamen, keep
them on the dry side of moist until they can put out some roots -
don't let them totally dry out.   I'm assuming they're dormant and
will prob. stay that way until late summer/early fall when it's their
normal time to wake up.

Ref the cold frame.  I have a block one, dug into the ground.   When
that's all I had, I used to put the cover down when the weather got
cold and cover that with old rugs and black plastic and just leave it
until spring when I could open it again.  Everything, including
evergreen stuff, came thru just fine.  That frame's filled with sand,
so I plunged the pots in it up to their rims and since it went into
winter damp from rains from the top being open, it stayed damp enough
for everything in the frame.

You could do the same with a straw frame lined with plastic and
filled with sand, and it sounds like you've got one more or less
started with your bales protecting plants outdoors.

This time of year, for new acquisitions, it's a bit more difficult,
BUT unless temps were heading down into the 20s, you could probably
leave the frame cracked all the time and still have it provide
adequate protection for hardy plants who arrive dormant or just
waking up.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Shadyside Garden Designs

----------
> From: Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net>
>
> Thanks Marge.  All the plants are potted in a medium with
reasonably good
> drainage.  The Cyclamen is hederifolium; very little root but
really large
> tubers.  I'm not good with Penstemon either.  This one looks
vigorous
> though - it's woody and has about 16 inches of growth on it.
Verbascum is
> something else that I've always killed and this one, though it has
begun to
> leaf out, is small yet.  The Erigeron look as though they'll be no
problem.

> I don't have space for a cold frame, but the main reason is that I
am
> positive I'd do more damage with one than without.  I can't afford
an
> automatic opener/closer.  I KNOW I will forget to open and close as
needed.

> I have about 400 pots out there from last fall huddled against the
house in
> 2 places, covered with leaves and surrounded by upright straw
sections.
> I'll uncover them in a week or so.  They don't need daily
diligence, so it's
> a method I can manage.
>
> I'll do the shop light thing for awhile and next week when the lows
are 30s
> I can move the Greer plants to the Florida rm.
>
> Kitty
> neIN, Zone 5

Don't
> > grow Erigeron.  Verbascum, if in leaf, is going to want as much
light
> > as you can muster and good drainage.
> >
> > I should imagine all the above would do better in a cool to cold
but
> > not freezing location.  The cooler it is, the slower they'll
start
> > into major growth, which is best if they have to be indoors.  If
you
> > don't have enough window, get one of those standard shop lights
at
> > Home Despot or Lowes; they're not expensive; and hang it above
where
> > you're keeping the plants and leave it on 24x7.  Seems to work in
my
> > garage.  Start schlepping them out during the day if it's above
> > freezing, if you can manage it.  I don't know if they were
greenhouse
> > grown or field grown but even if field grown, Greer is in a
milder
> > climate than you are, so I should imagine they'd need hardening
off
> > before you put them out.
> >
> > You need a cold frame, lady, if you can't manage a greenhouse!
Would
> > make your life easier all the way around:-)  You could make one
of
> > straw bales and plastic for winter use.
> >
> > Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
> > mtalt@hort.net
> > Shadyside Garden Designs
> >
> > ----------
> >> From: raider843@earthlink.net
> >>
> >> Kitty, have you had good luck with Greer? I ordered an Azalea
'Anna
> > Kehr'
> >> from them today. They were the ONLY nursery that had it that I
> > could find.
> >> I'm paying through the nose for it but I desperately want to
> > replace the
> >> one I left behind when I moved.
> >>
> >> Andrea
> >> Beaufort, SC Zone 8b