Re: Re: Help with H. americana!

You're welcome, Kitty.. Well, with little root on the Cyclamen, keep
them on the dry side of moist until they can put out some roots -
don't let them totally dry out.   I'm assuming they're dormant and
will prob. stay that way until late summer/early fall when it's their
normal time to wake up.

Ref the cold frame.  I have a block one, dug into the ground.   When
that's all I had, I used to put the cover down when the weather got
cold and cover that with old rugs and black plastic and just leave it
until spring when I could open it again.  Everything, including
evergreen stuff, came thru just fine.  That frame's filled with sand,
so I plunged the pots in it up to their rims and since it went into
winter damp from rains from the top being open, it stayed damp enough
for everything in the frame.

You could do the same with a straw frame lined with plastic and
filled with sand, and it sounds like you've got one more or less
started with your bales protecting plants outdoors.

This time of year, for new acquisitions, it's a bit more difficult,
BUT unless temps were heading down into the 20s, you could probably
leave the frame cracked all the time and still have it provide
adequate protection for hardy plants who arrive dormant or just
waking up.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Shadyside Garden Designs

> From: Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net>
> Thanks Marge.  All the plants are potted in a medium with
reasonably good
> drainage.  The Cyclamen is hederifolium; very little root but
really large
> tubers.  I'm not good with Penstemon either.  This one looks
> though - it's woody and has about 16 inches of growth on it.
Verbascum is
> something else that I've always killed and this one, though it has
begun to
> leaf out, is small yet.  The Erigeron look as though they'll be no
> I don't have space for a cold frame, but the main reason is that I
> positive I'd do more damage with one than without.  I can't afford
> automatic opener/closer.  I KNOW I will forget to open and close as
> I have about 400 pots out there from last fall huddled against the
house in
> 2 places, covered with leaves and surrounded by upright straw
> I'll uncover them in a week or so.  They don't need daily
diligence, so it's