Re: Re: Rain/ trop. fruit

I think avocados are easy to graft, although the Louisiana guy told me he tried both T-bud grafts and cleft grafts and only the cleft grafts took. I'm not a grafter so I don't know much about success rates in different plants and different types of grafts [although, I think clefts are the easiest]. The scion wood was from our Brogdon tree--the producer of the fruits that I sent to your mother that time--which, with the successful grafts, has taken a step toward immortality.

Do you know the variety of your mango seedling? If it's one of those bright red and green ones most common in the supermarkets, it's probably a Tommy Atkins--a very productive, but very large, tree. If thats it, I would top it and try to get it to form a low head. We have one but didn't know enough to do that when the tree was small--so now we're going to have to hire an arborist to whack it down enough so I can reach the top-most fruits with with one of those 12-foot extension fruit pickers. [These old bones do not belong on ladders.]

Tommy, incidentally, is an early bloomer. Ours has set hundreds of fruits this year--of course, it won't keep anywhere near all of them, but even at 10 percent that will mean 40-45 fruits.

The other two mangos are "alanpur banishan," which we've had for 5 or 6 years and which is a shy barer, and "Carrie," which we planted last year. Both of these are small trees naturally; the guy who grafted the alanpur also did one of those reverse grafts on it--he grafted a short alanpur trunk upside down on the rootstock, then grafted fruit wood rightside up on the upside down trunk; a technique that is supposed to dwarf the tree. Carrie bloomed after Tommy and alanpur is blooming now.