From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2006 11:28 AM
To: 'gardenchat@hort.net'
Subject: RE: [CHAT] Looking for the weekend!

I'm only cutting back the vegetable garden, so I can concentrate on getting
the ornamental gardens back into shape. So far so good, I planted lettuce
seed yesterday and used up all last year's packets. I think lettuce seed is
one of those things better planted with fresh seed but it should be okay.
I wasn't planning on buying much for either garden, but when I looked at all
the bare spots in the ornamental areas I rationalized that planting new
things would inspire me to even more maintenance. Yes, that's the ticket.
Anyway I didn't get the plants for the back fence in the ground. I forgot
that the irrigation controller for that part broke earlier in the winter and
husband has not fixed it yet. Since he was busy too it will have to wait for
next weekend. I did put in all the salvias and erigonum (buckwheat) in my
dry garden. And I weeded for a couple hours in there and dumped 4 barrels of
grass for the chickens - they were happy. I got about half of it done so
that was good.
We trapped six gophers just this weekend and there are mounds absolutely
everywhere. Husband set more traps amongst the fruit trees, in the dry
garden, well just about everywhere we have plants we want to keep. You would
not believe my back yard. Between the lawn and the veggie garden fence there
is a lot of empty space we don't do anything with. My dogs have been digging
for gophers back there and it looks like the trenches of WWI. I guess I
won't need to clip their nails for awhile.
At least the weather was reasonable. Saturday was windy and cold but we were
working a garage sale so I didn't care much. Sunday was mostly overcast but
at least it was not windy, and it was relatively warm. We're expecting rain
again tomorrow - let it rain during the week, that's what I ask.