To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, March 03, 2007 4:47 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] small tiller/cultivator

I don't have a small sized tiller, just a large one so I shouldn't be commenting, but that never stopped me before :)

I think Daryl had the right idea about renting one, even a smaller
version. If you are buying it just for tilling, how often do you really
use it? Mine is lucky to come out once a year and the rest of the time
it takes up space. Mine was given to me by a person who was tired of
storing it....

Theresa W <tchessie1@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
 Hmm- how tall are you? And do you know which model it is? Is it the
4-stroke engine? It sounds like that is the one I am considering- seems
I may need to go an look at one in person and check out the height
thing. Ordinarily I wouldn't be looking for one either, but I'm going
to be cutting out the sod in the back yard (which is already been killed
off) and want to regrade and amend the soil before replanting sod (or
grass plugs- haven't decided which). I also want to use it around the
house where the soil is very compacted from the stucco guys and
scaffolding being there. Sooooo, that's why I'm looking. If I lived
closer I'd come test out your tiller and buy it off you.

Chris wrote:

I have a Honda mini tiller that I bought and never used. Actually, my son
used it once on a small bed I was creating. It turns out that I am too short
to be able to push down on the handle bar to keep the darn thing in the
ground! We adjusted the handlebar to its lowest point, but it was still too
high. Most of the time I'm trying not to disturb the soil in my beds, so
except when creating a new bed, I probably have no use for a tiller.

Oh, it has an edger that was my main reason for buying it. I don't like the job it did either. It threw soil and grass clumps all over. A shovel does a
neater job!

Just my two cents,

Chris Petersen
Northport, Long Island, New York