Re: small tiller/cultivator

Iused my Mantis quite a bit and never had to replace the tines. Very strong. ai did replace the edger blade once. Since I edged along cement sidewalk that one eventually wore down a bit. But they sold me a replacement bade w/out making me buy another wheel.
neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, March 03, 2007 8:42 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] small tiller/cultivator

Hmmm- just read a review on the 4-cycle Craftsman model, they complained about the tines bending- which doesn't sound good at all. On the Honda, the tines are shaped like they are on a large model, with the tips curved under- this supposedly makes it more difficult to dig into compacted soil. I can theoretically see this might be true, since the tines would need to catch in the soil in order to do anything other than bump along the surface. So, now I'm back to considering the Mantis- it has pointed blades, they are guaranteed for life. Hmmmm, decisions, decisions. I can get the Mantis from Sears locally, which I'd probably do, just in case the thing is not up to my expectations and I wanted to return it. The hunting goes on! Granted there is not big rush- first I have to get out in the back yard an cut the dead sod off (along with that stupid plastic mesh backing they put on sod, which I'm sure would mangle any mini-tiller!). So, I guess I should be looking for a sod-cutter first- but a small one- likely manual (elbow grease required) model- if those are any better than just a flat-blade shovel.

Theresa W wrote:
Hmm- how tall are you? And do you know which model it is? Is it the 4-stroke engine? It sounds like that is the one I am considering- seems I may need to go an look at one in person and check out the height thing. Ordinarily I wouldn't be looking for one either, but I'm going to be cutting out the sod in the back yard (which is already been killed off) and want to regrade and amend the soil before replanting sod (or grass plugs- haven't decided which). I also want to use it around the house where the soil is very compacted from the stucco guys and scaffolding being there. Sooooo, that's why I'm looking. If I lived closer I'd come test out your tiller and buy it off you.

Chris wrote:

I have a Honda mini tiller that I bought and never used. Actually, my son used it once on a small bed I was creating. It turns out that I am too short
to be able to push down on the handle bar to keep the darn thing in the
ground! We adjusted the handlebar to its lowest point, but it was still too
high. Most of the time I'm trying not to disturb the soil in my beds, so
except when creating a new bed, I probably have no use for a tiller.

Oh, it has an edger that was my main reason for buying it. I don't like the job it did either. It threw soil and grass clumps all over. A shovel does a
neater job!

Just my two cents,

Chris Petersen   Northport, Long Island, New York
 Zone 7a (Average min temp 50 - 00)