Re: rain garden

The program also included a section on roof gardens.  They are much more
popular in Europe and Canada.  The benefits include air quality, sound
attenuation, thermal efficiency, longer roof life, and plant and animal
habitat.  Using a flat roof, you can also include recreation with putting
greens, batting cages and passive recreation.

For the Extensive type, you have to have a strong roof to support the dirt
and water...10-50lbs/sf, especially if saturated.  They usually require
less maintenance and are less expensive.

The less saturated, aka Eco-Roofs, have less than a 6" profile and use
thin, few layers with low growing plants; 70-80% inorganic and 20-30%
organic soils.

Waterproofing system is the most important component.  You also must have
structural integrity, drainage, and potential access.  You need:
vegetation, a growing medium, filter membrane, drainage layer, waterproof
repellant membrane, support panels, thermal insulation, vapor control
layer, and structural support.

Go for it.

Bonnie Zone 7/7 ETN