Re: opuntia replacement

I got some Escobaria and Echinocereus for the Rockgarden last year. I hope they survived this difficult winter. Wow, this site has a wealth of cold hardy cactus. Who knew there were so many? They seem reasonable for cuttings. I will likely give them a try if I can't find any more advanced plants. Thanks Jim.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2007 6:44 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] opuntia replacement

Toughie... Everything I think of doesn't venture lower than zone 9. Have you looked at

http://www.coldhardycactus.com/

On Mar 9, 2007, at 6:19 PM, Kitty wrote:

Can anyone suggest a hardy cactus for zone 5 other than Opuntia humifusa (syn. O. compressa) and Opuntia ficus-indica? One of the gardens put in their request late and won't get the plant because another garden requested it before the deadline. I told them I'd search for something similar.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5

Island Jim
Southwest Florida