Re: anybody planting out there?/what's blooming

Same conditions here, Auralie.
I just finished cutting back all the bad foliage. Some have no foliage at all now. But, I see with this warm spell new buds and blooms are emerging from the crown down in all that mess. I would doubt the plant is actually dead... set back probably, but not dead.
   Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
www.munchkinnursery.com
genebush@munchkinnursery.com
Zone 6/5  Southern Indiana

My large, old Hellebore which was blooming lavishly in January
before the ice storm looks totally dead now.  Not only are the
blossom stems all turned to mush, the large clump of leaves
is totally black and flattened.  I have had this Hellebore for
probably 15 or 20 years - can't quite remember.  It has never
been a favorite because the blooms weren't a pretty color -
sorta greenish purple - but it was a handsome clump, and
just outside a downstairs window it was always an early
sign of spring.  I am sorry to lose it.
Auralie