Theresa

james singer wrote:
Not Theresa, but... I had trouble transplanting a lot of things that I have started in peat pots, dill among them, until I started ripping the bottom of the pot off and splitting at least one of the pot's sides open. I know they're supposed to disintegrate once they're in the ground, but I think young plant roots don't like to wait that long. This is especially true if I buy bedding plants that some commercial grower has started in peat pots; their peat pots seem to be of really stern stuff--probably so they won't fall apart before the plant's sold. I've had commercially started peppers and tomatoes become root bound and die of thirst before the peat pot gave way.

On Mar 13, 2007, at 11:07 AM, Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT wrote:

Do you have luck transplanting cilantro and dill? I gave up trying and
started planting them straight in the ground, but it means they
generally get started later in the season. Be nice to know if there's a
secret to it.

Cyndi

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Theresa W
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 8:04 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] It's spring now

Yep- warm here too.  My tulips and daffodils are fading faster than I
would like, due to the heat.  I got some seeds started indoors tonight
too.  Just a couple varieties, tomato, dill, cilantro, edamame, etc.
Despite my best efforts last year to control my zauschneria, it has come
back with a vengence- ah well. an ongoing battle I guess.

Theresa

Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT wrote:
Well it's definitely spring here. In fact, it was practically summer
this weekend, we had highs in the 80s and it's supposed to be more of
the same all this week. On the news they are talking about the two
brush fires currently burning...sigh.
But all the fruit trees are in blossom and many other trees are just
starting to show that haze of green. My bulbs are in full bloom now,
the roses are almost all in leaf (some slower than others). The Joshua

trees have some blossoms despite the dry winter. We'll not get any
wildflowers this year though, there is nothing growing in the
unirrigated areas.
Husband and I spent a good part of Saturday working in the teahouse
garden pruning out the rosemary killed by the Big Freeze and general
cleanup. There are a lot of bare spots now and we are not done yet,
but I can buy new to fill in or just let the other stuff grow, it will

catch up eventually. Or...I've been thinking I might want to change
that area...but no, I don't have the time to tackle another project,
it will have to wait.  I noticed in the cottage garden area I've lost
all the lavenders, I thought they would be tougher than that, but only

the Spanish lavender in the dry garden has survived. Maybe because
it's drier?
I gave myself a really nice blister on the hand wielding the clippers,

I must be getting soft. We also decided to pull out an arbor half
covered with honeysuckle; the honeysuckle hasn't looked good for a
long time and the whole thing never really went with the teahouse
anyway. It looks better without it now.  The arbor is still nice
though, I'll have to find another place for it.
I started seeds for the hot peppers and some basil, the tomato
seedlings look very nice and all the sweet pepper seedlings are up. My

lemon tree is blooming again so I've been after the blossoms with my
little paintbrush, but it's been warm enough that I can leave the door

to the greenhouse open, so perhaps we'll get some pollinators in
there.
Actually it's been warm enough I could move all that stuff outside but

we are still a month away from average last frost, so I'm being
cautious.  I meant to get the lettuce and spinach planted, but didn't,

perhaps after work one day this week I can do that.
I started cleaning the pond, I thought the filter was clogged but no,
something else is wrong. Now I have to pull the whole thing out to
see, there's a pleasant job - at least it's small. I turned on the
watering for the plants along my back fence but apparently my dogs
have once again chewed off the top of a bubbler, so that has to be
fixed. We really have to protect the bubblers somehow, PVC is no match

for those guys.
No new lambs, the one ewe is still holding onto her unborn, she's
getting awfully big. I've been telling her "Can't be long now" for two

weeks but she is unimpressed. The other four lambs are growing like
weeds, they are so cute to see racing around the yard. Good thing they

turn into sheep or we'd never be able to eat lamb chops.
We rode the horses just around the neighborhood for a couple hours
Sunday, not very exciting but at least we're out. Gets us a look at
what's going on anyway - we notice there are only a couple vacant lots

left, and the houses being built are enormous. One of them must be for

someone into baseball, they've built what looks like the training
facility for an entire team in their backyard. At least it isn't quads

or dirt bikes! The equestrian arena down the street had a big event
going on but we couldn't get close enough to watch, and didn't have
time to go back later.
I saw the zauschneria coming up in the dry garden, funny it was so
late last year I thought I had lost it and this year it's one of the
first to show. The penstemons are showing signs of growth too, and the

buckwheat looks good. I have been desperately holding out hopes for
the salvias but every time I look at them my hope dies a little more.
Very disappointing since they were the biggest shrubs in the dry
garden, they were close to five feet across, now there is maybe one
branch on each that shows a little green. Still I don't want to let go

but... On the plus side, my opuntia - while it looks really horrible -

doesn't look as horrible as my friend's cactus, now that one is most
definitely dead. So we'll see.

Cyndi

Island Jim
Southwest Florida