Re: Happy St. Patrick's Day

Back when I used to do such things, I discovered the brisket is corned with lots of different herbs and spices--probably as many different combination as there are people who corn their own. If you butcher a steer, there's really nothing else you can do with the brisket except corn it. Otherwise, it's as tough as shoe leather.

On Mar 17, 2007, at 11:56 AM, Kitty wrote:

You lucky duck! Send me a postcard.
Yes, boiled bacon or lamb stew would be more traditionally Irish. The poor Irish imigrants in NY substituted corned beef for bacon because it was cheaper. Also - I recently learned that pastrami is corned beef cured with pepper.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2007 9:30 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Happy St. Patrick's Day

Hey all- Happy St. Patty's to you all. I AM going to Ireland this year!! I'm so excited, just holding my breath and waiting for April 27th to come- yeah! Oh, and I was watching the "Good Eats" on TV last night and learned that corned beef is an American thing- it didn't come from Ireland.

Theresa

Kitty wrote:
Happy St Patrick's day to all of you.
I hate travelling but Ireland is one place I would love to visit someday, but not this year. Today we're having lunch for my sister, Pat's birthday. Then tomorrow I'll have her over for a corned beef dinner. Gotta get busy now and wrap presents.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5

Island Jim
Southwest Florida