Re: runner beans

Jim, these are very pretty!!   I'm a bit behind here....so pardon  the
question if it has been mentioned.  Are they ornamental or  edible,  and what is the
botanical name, please???  I love the  Hyacinth bean (Dolichos lablab) since
it is beautiful, and useful  (don't think it is edible, but it is the host
plant for the beautiful Long  tailed Skipper).  Unfortunately it gets quite
large.  No room for  anymore vines that take over.

Hadn't had a freeze in years, so this last one really knocked everything
back.  Hadn't seen the yard this bare in a while.  Perfect opportunity  though to
wack things back.  Took all the vines and shrubs down to a  couple feet.
Already miss the blooms this spring, but at least the yard  got cleaned out a
bit.  So surprised how many things made it through the 23  degrees without
sustaining damage.   Most plants only lost their  foliage, but quite a few others
didn't suffer a bit.  Of course the freeze  only lasted a short time, and the
temps were warm for weeks before and then  after again, but still....23!!!  Did
have a couple weeks of wet  cooler weather, but no freezes.

 Did lose a few things...like a couple of Dischidia, and hoyas that  were
mounted.  Bromeliads and orchids made it through without any  damage.  Fruit
trees didn't mind at all....citrus is all blooming, even the  Satsuma that I
thought had died.  Miracle fruit did fine too, but the  Peanut butter tree did lose
it's foliage and I'm hoping it comes back too.

Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 3/25/2007 11:02:18 AM Central Daylight Time,