To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 8:46 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] update

Actually- I've had very little of the ivy I ripped out 5 years ago return. And occasional shoot that I rip out or round-up repeatedly. I'm happy I went to the effort to remove it when I did- and you will be too

Theresa

Kitty wrote:
Oh, man, what a day. I took the afternoon off work. After a few stops along the way home I got busy on a project I started Monday night. 17 years ago I planted a bed of about a dozen lilacs and one Magnolia tree, which at the time was smaller than the lilacs. The triangular bed was along my south border chain link fence upon which I had hung cedar fencing, much nicer looking. Then I underplanted the tree and shrubs with English Ivy.

Friends don't let friends plant Hedera helix.

Between yesterday and today I put in close to 10 hours ripping out ivy. It has made a nasty mess of the fence from my neighbor's side. Later I'll dig out the old lilacs - in mid-May the neighborhood will have a dumpster for a day. Yes, I know the ivy will return, but 17 years from now I'll be in my 70s and hopefully I won't care.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5