From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Kitty
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 7:29 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] update

Several reasons for evicting the lilacs.  These were mature S. vulgaris
when I got them 17 yrs ago. My xH told this guy I might like them and I
came home one August day and there they were dumped in my back yard. The
ivy covered south fence prevents sunlight to them in the lower 4ft. and
reduces air circulation. The result is lanky, growth with flowers at the
12 ft tops of plants covered w powdery mildew. Much of the wood has
rotted, some came off right in my hand as I pulled the ivy from it.
Some of the lilacs were planted right up next to the fence and they grew
to the south, right through the fence. You can see a portion of the area
at http://snipurl.com/1e7f3 but not clearly.  Maybe I'll take some new
shots.

Part of me wants to keep them because they provide a great screen right
where I realllllllllllly need it.  But the cedar fence needs to come off
the chain link to remove all the mess and that will mean destroying
several of the lilacs that grew through it. Also, if I do have to get
them out, this is the time to do it because of the availability of the
dumpster. Any other time I don't know how I'd get rid of the big roots.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5