Re: Exodus

OH JIM!! I'm so sorry to hear that. Breaks my heart. And any gardener
can sympathize with having to leave behind the beloved plants and
gardens. So sorry to hear that. But, we are here for you during the big

  Today it looks like it's going to work out, so I guess I ought to fess
up. There are three items on the agenda: 1. Ms Fatma has left me; 2. I
am going to lose this place; 3. Squinty and I will be moving on.

1. Yes. Ms Fatma is gone, getting a divorce, she says. I feel kind of
sad that it didn't work out, but life's like that--good days, bad
days--but it's never the end of the world, just the end of the

2. No doubt; I'm going to lose this place. Between the insurance rate
hike and Ms Fatma bailing out, I am not able to make the payments on
the house. So I quit trying. I may have two months before they throw me
out. When this became clear, I tried to put the house on the market but
ran into a number of realtors who did not want to list an "as-is short
sale." Not enough money in it, they said. So I asked a friend to post a
notice on a rare fruit chat list that innumerated most of the
subtropical fruit trees I've planted and groomed and, lo and behold, I
have unearthed a Roman Catholic priest [no, not Gregor Mendel] living
abroad who wants to buy it. So this may work out.

3. My sister says she has a spare bedroom that Squinty and I can share.
So we'll be moving to Oregon. Not sure when... but before they throw me
out of here in all likelihood.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.1 N, 82.4 W