From: Theresa G. <macycat3@sbcglobal.net>
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2008 8:12:10 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Exodus

Well yuck! Sorry you are in the thick of all this, but hope you'll adapt to the change and move forward as I recently did (I'm dating a very nice vet currently : ) . So, how many plants can you fit in your car as you drive West? When I moved from Maine to California I packed the entire trunk with plants and one small suitcase with clothes, everything else (3 cats etc) was in the car with me. I held my breath as I drove through the inspection station to enter California. They didn't ask me to open the trunk- lucked out! Really Jim, wishing you the best in your cross country trip and that you find new friendships and companionships that makes you happy in the future.

Theresa

james singer wrote:
Today it looks like it's going to work out, so I guess I ought to fess up. There are three items on the agenda: 1. Ms Fatma has left me; 2. I am going to lose this place; 3. Squinty and I will be moving on.

1. Yes. Ms Fatma is gone, getting a divorce, she says. I feel kind of sad that it didn't work out, but life's like that--good days, bad days--but it's never the end of the world, just the end of the arguments.

2. No doubt; I'm going to lose this place. Between the insurance rate hike and Ms Fatma bailing out, I am not able to make the payments on the house. So I quit trying. I may have two months before they throw me out. When this became clear, I tried to put the house on the market but ran into a number of realtors who did not want to list an "as-is short sale." Not enough money in it, they said. So I asked a friend to post a notice on a rare fruit chat list that innumerated most of the subtropical fruit trees I've planted and groomed and, lo and behold, I have unearthed a Roman Catholic priest [no, not Gregor Mendel] living abroad who wants to buy it. So this may work out.

3. My sister says she has a spare bedroom that Squinty and I can share. So we'll be moving to Oregon. Not sure when... but before they throw me out of here in all likelihood.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.1 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10