Another typical spring weekend

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Another typical spring weekend
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 09:10:30 -0700

The weather forecast said it would be very windy on Saturday and cold
with possible showers on Sunday. At least this time the preceding three
days were ugly too. I just couldn't face another weekend indoors so
despite the wind I went out and did some work in the yard. Got quite a
bit done but I have limits y'know, so when it started to snow about 2 pm
I figured it was time to quit.  Actually I was all excited about the
snow, it doesn't happen real often here, but it only lasted about 5
minutes and of course didn't stick - it just stayed nasty out.  Sunday I
went to visit some relatives around Palm Springs (it was windy) but
husband said at home it was very cold all day though not windy.  Some
places got a lot more snow than we did, about 15 miles from my house the
ground was white and all through the pass it was fairly heavy (for here,
that means about 6 inches).
Monday of course was almost perfect. Sunny and calm and expected to stay
that way all week.  It's infuriating.  Hopefully next weekend will be
My daffodils are completely in bloom, some are starting to fade now. My
rosemary is covered in blossoms. The fruit trees are all blooming now
too, the plums actually past their time. Not much else though; I have a
few poppies in the dry garden but the wild poppies are not ready yet,
and there are only a few goldfields and other blooms out there now.
Leaves are  starting to unfurl on some trees but not all.