Re: what kind of >tummy

Jack's my oldest, about 16. The one that urps a lot. He does so more frequently now, but with nothing to throw up because he eats so little. He's lost 4 pounds in the past year, so I am worried about him. We saw the vet last weekend and he wants to see him in a month. He's thinking thyroid tumor, but says he doesn't feel anything there yet. He described the treatment, and I doubt I could afford it. So if that is it, we'll just ride it out.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 6:20 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] what kind of >tummy

I have been busy lately and skimming messages.....

 But what is wrong with Jack?

 Donna

Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net> wrote:
this is the first yr my Jack has a had a furry tummy since I can remember. But he's pretty sick and has lost a lot of weight, probably doesn't have the
energy to lick it off.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
----- Original Message ----- From: "Theresa G."
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 10:29 PM

OK- so I've been giving my cat CapStar daily and Advantage monthly- and
guess what!!! My cat has stopped licking his belly! The cat dermatologist
thought he had a flea allergy (even though he is an indoor only cat).
Turns out she might be right after all!
Theresa

Jesse Bell wrote:
MY CAT DOES THAT TOO. She licks the hair off the back of her front legs.
Looks like somebody shaved her. I took her to the vet. No mites, no
allergies, no fleas....just anxiety. So they gave her a "kitty downer".
That lasted about 3 days, and she was right back to doing it. She has
"issues" and just gets her knickers all twisted up cause my 3 indoor
dogs like to chase her. They would never hurt her...they just like to
psych her out and make her run - because "they can..ha, ha, ha". So, I
have created a room that she can get to, and the dogs can't...that way
she can get away from them while I'm at work. It seems to help her some.

Kitty wrote:
Theresa,
Odd that you should mention this. Just this morning I noticed that Jack
is sporting a lush, thick, tummy full of fur after years of nakedness. I
tried everything including Valerian and Bitter Apple with little luck. My vet said it's just an anxiety sort of thing. Something was bothering him.
He's older and calmer now.

It's not something really to worry about other than the increased fur he
ingests creating hairballs. It's not like he has to be concerned about
life in the frozen Tundra.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
----- Original Message ----- From: "Theresa G." To: Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 11:36 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] what kind of mulch???

Well- I can't afford more than 3 inches, and I haven't mulched anything
in years- so i think I'm safe on both accounts. Didn't get to go look at
any mulch today- instead took the darn cat back to the vet. He's licked
the fur off his belly AGAIN!

Theresa

Kitty wrote:

doesn't cedar mulch do the same thing?

Eventually. But cedar, redwood, cypress, these are all woods that are
used for furniture, fencing, etc because they don't degrade quickly.
Which is nice when you are building something, but not of any real
benefit to your soil. People use these mulches for the very reason that
they don't decompose, thinking they won't have to replenish it every
year. Then they go ahead and add more every year anyway to "freshen"
the color that has gone drab. Before you know it they've got a foot of
mulch and they're killing their plants.

These aren't 'bad' mulches, they just don't provide one of the main
benefits I look for in a mulch. If you use them, just try not to go
thicker than 3 inches. Oh, one other thing, some of these will matt and
actually form a moisture barrier. The rain hits and runs off rather
than through the mulch. If this occurs, be sure to rough it up
periodically.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
----- Original Message ----- From: "Theresa G." To: Sent: Monday,
February 11, 2008 11:12 PM

doesn't cedar mulch do the same thing?

Theresa

Kitty wrote:

bark breaks down and replenishes the soil. humus is important.
Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
----- Original Message ----- From: "Theresa G."
To: Sent: Monday, February 11, 2008 8:57 PM

Thanks for the offer, but don't think I need any extra #!@% right
now. There is shredded cedar mulch. I'm going to go by and give it a
look tomorrow afterwork. Added bonus, it is cheaper than the bark
nugget stuff. Now to try and guess how much I need...

Theresa

Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT wrote:

I've had really good luck with shredded bark, we buy it at the
landscaping place by the cubic yard. It spreads easy, does a good
job of
holding water in the soil and looks nice for about 3 years. When we
get
it I spread it about 4" to 6" thick. I have heard that you get
problems
due to lack of nitrogen as it breaks down but I have not noticed
that in
my garden. If you have a lot of small plants you have to be careful
not
to smother them while you're spreading it.
Spoiled hay with sheep manure is really good for your soil, but
looks
like, ummm, what it is and besides you might have problems finding
it in
your neighborhood. But I'd be glad to donate if you want to pick
up.
Free horse manure too, all you want. Give me a couple weeks notice
and
I'll throw in 50 pounds of chicken poo.

Cyndi