Re: stems and petioles

The stem is what the leaf stalk (petiole) grows out of. Nodes are on the stem (think of when you do cuttings and you make sure a node is at the bottom to put in the soil) The nodes hold the meristematic tissue that allows new roots to form. The space between the nodes is called internodes and hold no meristematic tissue so that's why you have to make sure there's a node when making cuttings. Does that make sense?

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 8:16 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] My trip to Texas

since obviously I haven't taken a horticulture class....

 just what is the difference between a 'leafstalk' and a 'stem'?

Who is embarrassed to say I have been growing celery for years and didn't know this!

Patricia <pdickson@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
 How fun and hard work at the same time! Really who knew it is the petiole
of the celery that we eat.
So happy for you,
----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrea Hodges"
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 5:05 AM
Subject: [CHAT] My trip to Texas

To answer a few questions-

Melody-my degree is a non-thesis program so I did an oral defense of
basically what I've learned. They got to ask me anything they wanted to. I
think a thesis would have been easier to defend. And thanks much for your
kind words.

Donna-The greenhouses were fantastic. They 8 of them-two were off limits
as they are strictly for the maintenance crew for TTU. When I went down
there one of my committee members happened to be working with some of her
students so she gave me a whirlwind tour. One greenhouse holds all of the
"mother plants" for their interiorscaping classes so it was all house
plant material. Everything was in truly lovely shape. I felt like I wanted
to shop! The other held mother plants for the propagation classes and yet
another the experiments that the students were working on. There are
classrooms between greenhouses complete with all new audio visual
equipment. Then there is a lab where, for example on student had sets of
onions growing in a chamber where they got more CO2 to see if they grew
faster than onion sets without them. So far, they were not, which is a
mystery they are working to solve. The gardens were neat but of course
pretty bare as yet.

The campus is enormous. According to my advisor and several others it is
the largest college campus in the U.S. with the exception of the Air Force
Academy and that's only because they have their own runway.

I spent a large amount of money on sweatshirts and t-shirts with the TTU
logo. LOL! Truly-if I had my choice I would have done the degree on
campus. I feel like I missed out on a lot but I am glad I got the
opportunity to go and see it all. I truly had a good time even with the
stress of the defense. None of the trees or shrubs there are native I
found out since Lubbock is located in short grass prairie land. Hard pan
clay soil. Not what I would consider a gardening friendly environment but
there were many nice plantings around campus.

I stayed with one of my class mates that I met online. She and her husband
live literally only 10 minutes walking distance from the Plant and Soil
Science building. They too were the nicest people. Older than me, so also
non-traditional students. My class mate does her defense in July so she
learned a lot from my experience I think.

Apparently it is tradition for the "defender" to provide refreshments for
the committee. So, my advisor took me to the store and I bought bottled
water, veggies, fruit, and Mexican pastries (yum). One of my committee
member (the one from the greenhouse) pushed the veggie tray towards me and asked me what they all were. So then we got onto the subject of what parts
of the vegetable we eat. She made me get up and draw a bunch of celery on
the whiteboard. I had to tell her what part of the celery we eat. I said
stem-I was WRONG! I finally figured out it was the petiole. Who knew? That
was one of the easy questions of course. They kept me for about an hour
and 45 minutes and then sent me out of the room. I only had to stand in
the hall for a minute or so and then they called me back in and my advisor
said Congratulations! So, of course they all hugged me and I wanted to
fall in the floor just from the relief. My advisor asked me later if I got
the point of bringing food. She laughed and told me the committee is so
busy eating that they don't have the focus to just hammer you with
questions. Worked like a charm.

So, what's next-I have to finish the two classes I'm in-Pesticides and my
refresher plant propagation undergrad class. Then I get my diploma. And
then I'm going to do what I said and read gardening magazines and trashy
romance novels for at least a month. I'm done with school. done done done.
So really I have no idea what's next. I'll keep you all posted!

Thanks again for all of the support and congrats and kind words. It means
the world to me!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Melody "