To: "gardenchat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, March 29, 2008 2:02 PM
Subject: [CHAT] cat question

We've had Grayman (aka The Ghost) for 3 weeks and one day now. He regularly shows himself now (the first few days we only saw a disturbed litter box and
empty food bowl) , and I can even pat him once in a while when Dreyfuss or
Diesel is between us. Sometimes he even plays in the same room I'm in. The
rest of the time he runs and hides. Most of the time I haven't a clue where he
is, except if Detective Diesel tells us.

I can roll balls to him and he will bat them back, but if he doesn't hit them hard enough and I have to get close to him to roll them back, he nails me - hard! with his claws. We played a bit with the feather-and-rabbit's-foot on an elastic cord toy this afternoon, but he wouldn't get closer than a couple of
feet.

I'm disappointed with the progress, but maybe it's normal? To recap, he's
about 5 months old. Lisa, the gal that rescued Rascal and his littermates,
finally had to trap him when the weather got icy cold. She was able to get his brother in almost immediately, but The Ghost was on his own for more than a month. She finally was able to hold him about a week before she brought him to me. When she first handed him to me, he settled on my lap for a few minutes, but then hopped down (I thought he wanted to investigate his new surroundings.
He disappeared.)

He's so different from the others. You may remember that it took a couple of weeks of feeding Diesel (as a kitten) before he'd come to me, but once I was able to pick him up and bring him inside, he readily settled down. I picked up Rascal shortly after Bill brought him home, and when I put him on the floor he
immediately climbed back up on my lap.

What do you think?