From: Zemuly Sanders <zemuly@comcast.net>
To: gardenchat <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, March 30, 2008 11:53:32 AM
Subject: [CHAT] Mahonia aquifolium

A few years ago I saw Mahonia aquifolium (Oregon Grape Holly) blooming in
the
Ozark Mountains in Arkansas, and I was hooked.  It took a while to locate
source, but I finally found a native plant nursery in Oregon and ordered
some
plants.  Both of them are finally blooming this spring.  Their older
foliage
remains that dark maroon color from the winter which is a great contrast
with
the bright yellow blooms.  The plants are still small, but I'm so excited
about them.  The first year they were in my yard the deer bit off their
tips
and promptly spit them out.  I don't think they've been bothered
again.  It's
small treats like this that make gardening a wonderful thing for me.
zem
zone 7
West TN