Email problems

  • Subject: Email problems
  • From: "Christopher P. Lindsey" <lindsey@mallorn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 19:24:06 -0500

Sorry about any possible email problems in the past couple of days.
I've been revamping the whole mail server system to try and make it more
robust, but in the process some things ended up breaking.  :(

I've been focusing on hort.net for the past month or so, spending about
an hour a day trying to improve it.  Right now most of it is behind the
scenes, but you should notice that the archives look better and the search
functionality actually works as expected.  I did add advertising to the
archives to help pay for the site -- Google gives a little bit of cash
for each page visit and a little bit more if people click on ads that
they find interesting.  The mailing lists are all more efficient, spam
and virus scanning has been replaced with a different, easier-to-manage
package that doesn't impact the server as much, and I've put monitoring
software on the site to fix problems as they come up.  I also have a
full backup of the two servers for the past ten days running, so if
something horrible happens to the servers I can easily reinstall them
or get something running temporarily elsewhere.

I'm also back to working on the account creation and newsgroup interface,
and hopefully I'll have something to show for that in another month or so.

If you happen to notice anything that doesn't work as you expect, please
don't hesitate to let me know!  You guys have been around here forever
and I want you to be happy.  :)

Chris