More deer devastation

  • Subject: More deer devastation
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 16:39:39 EDT

I just got around to the back of our land this afternoon - the first time
since last year that it hasn't been too icy to manage the slope - to find
that the large mass of Leucothoe back there is totally leafless and
quite a bit of it broken down.  Last winter was the first time deer had
ever touched it since I planted it there in 1970, but then they just took
the front leaves.  This is a big thicket - maybe 10 feet long by 6 feet
thick and 6 or 7 feet high.  It has always been a resource for good-looking
line material for flower arrangements - various arrangers knew they could
always come and get it - but now there are about  four skinny tall pieces
with any leaves left.  I don't know how they got through the mass of it.
There are numerous broken branches lying on the ground, so I guess they
just took hold and pulled.  I'm really at a loss to know what I can plant
this year - I just don't have what it takes to keep planting stuff that just
gets eaten up or broken down.