Re: Wow

It's still too cold here to do any serious gardening.  We were away for a few
days - shuffled off to Buffalo for the annual meeting of the state Garden Club
Federation (fgcnys), and then a quick look at Montezuma National Wildlife
Refuge where we were delighted to see snow geese.  For many years we have
gone down to the DelMarVa in the fall for a bit of birding, and especially to
the great flocks of snow geese, but didn't feel up to the trip last fall.
I've been
missing my snow-goose "fix" all winter, so it was a special delight to find
at Montezuma.  We have been there numerous times, but never saw snow geese
there before.
Anyway, it was bitter cold before we left, but I told myself that when we got
I would be able to get out in the garden.  This morning it is 42 degrees and
At least the piles of ice have finally gone.  Until last week we had great
beside the drive and in the beds from the snow that fell before Christmas,
soaked by rain and frozen into glaciers.  More snow, followed by more rain
two layers of ice, followed by two months of bitter cold.  There was still a
small pile
of ice when we left last week, and that is gone now, but I'm told the weather
bitter - down into the teens - over the weekend while we were gone.
I do have crocus blooming on the south-west-facing back slope where they have
naturalized.  There is one lone narcissus at the base of the large boulder
the drive, and one of my hellebores is blooming.  I'll be putting on a
School next week, so won't have time to be out.  The weather will probably be
gorgeous then.
I'm having trouble writing this.  Lottie, my little female tuxedo cat, who
usually deign to sit in my lap or even let herself be petted, has moved in and
is trying to claim my hands.  Maybe she missed us?

In a message dated 3/25/2009 9:20:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,