Re: ?????? Now time to put out yellow jacket traps
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: ?????? Now time to put out yellow jacket traps
  • From: BONNIE_HOLMES <bonnie_holmes@comcast.net>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:38:07 +0000 (UTC)

The big thing about yellow jackets is that they HATE vibration. You must
have been close enough to their nest that your walking set up the alarm.
That's why they are such a danger on playing fields. I looked them up
when I developed the severe allergies to them. Only good thing I could
find was that they were one of the few things that would clear out tent
caterpillars. I've gotten stung when pulling weeds next to a nest that I
failed to see; it was the vibration.

Early spring is the time the queen starts looking for a place to build
her nest. So, get out your traps, NOW. The more queens and her small
group of workers you can trap, the less danger you'll be in. Also, when
you are weeding, mowing, etc., look for smooth holes in the ground and
watch to see if yellow jackets are entering. In the early morning and
evening, there are more around the entrance to the next so you can find
and treat them.

Bonnie
ETN Zone 7