Re: Spring...
gardenchat@hort.net

Many of my spring bulbs naturalize, especially the grape hyacinths. I
think some must spread by seed. I don't see how else they could get
where they end up. Of course, critters might also help.

Crocus
The crocus is a genus of perennial flowering plants. They belong to the
family Iridadeae. The flowers of crocus are cup-shaped, solitary, slaver
form flowers taper off into a narrow tube and seen facing upwards. The
plants start from a short underground growth, known as corms and are
mostly hardy perennials and are found surplus in habitats such as
woodlands, scrub and meadows. Crocuses are the late-winter bulbs, which
are turned out to be the first blossoms of spring. They are very popular
for their colors. They are of a wide range of colors. The lilac, mauve,
yellow and white are the most usual colors and sometimes attractively
striped. They have grass like leaves; generally have a white central
stripe along the leaf axis, upon which the flowers appear from late
winter to early spring.

Cultivation : The crocuses are very easily grown in large areas of
central and southern Europe, North Africa and the Middle East, across
Central Asia to western China. There are five main varieties cultivated.
They are in need of sunny, well-drained area, though a few prefer shades
in moist soils. Some are suitable for naturalizing grass. The corms must
be planted 2 to 4 inches deep, 3 to 5 inches apart; in heavy soils a
quantity of sharp grit should be dug in to improve drainage. Crocuses
typically have three stamens. The leaves and flowers of crocuses are
protected from being frozen by a waxy cuticle.

Propagation : The propagation of the crocus is not a complicated job.
The crocuses are propagated by two methods; they are by division and by
seed. Propagation by division is the easiest method. It is very simple
that, after some years the clumps can be dug up in the autumn and the
bulbs are divided and replanted. Propagation by seed can be done by the
following method. Some species of the crocus will seed freely around the
garden. Seeds are collected from the plants and they are sown in
well-drained compost when the seeds are ripe. Species of crocus must
produce plants that are true from seed. Most of the species usually
flower three years after sowing. Both the methods of propagation are
followed nowadays, though the method of propagation by division is
easier. Both of them produce good results.

http://www.freeplant.net/crocus.html

Bonnie
ETN Zone 7