Re: FaceBook..now vines
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: FaceBook..now vines
  • From: BONNIE_HOLMES <bonnie_holmes@comcast.net>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 16:15:27 +0000 (UTC)

I was just going to suggest climbing hydrangea. Mine took three years before
it started blooming and then it was beautiful. What about Native Carolina
Jessamine which produces showy yellow flowers in early spring and is semi
evergreen here in the south. Confederate jasmine blooms prolifically with
small extremely fragrant white flowers in spring and sporadically thereafter
until frost. Each of these are best suited to southern locals, zones 6-9.
Trumpet honeysuckle , an evergreen, offers a showy bloom that provides nectar
for hummingbirds and butterflies. Bright red berries appear in the fall after
bloom ceases. Itbs dense evergreen habitat, often reaching lengths of 20
feet per tendril, also provides cover throughout the seasons.

Most homeowners immediately call to mind the prolific and invasive Japanese
honeysuckle . However, there are many non invasive species of honeysuckles to
choose from, such as Gold flame , Browns and Tatarian . Each of these is
suited for zones 3-9.
Bonnie
ETN Zone 7