Re: Re: Spring
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: Re: Spring
  • From: Catharine Carpenter <cathycrc@comcast.net>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 15:24:11 -0500

Most clumping bamboos are pretty cold hardy. Mine always look dead at the end of winter, but have come back. Give them a chance.
Cathy, west central IL, z5b

On Mar 29, 2014, at 9:51 AM, Aplfgcnys@aol.com wrote:

I'm concerned to see that bamboos all around are looking dead. This is not usually the case. Of course, I would be happy enough if my neighbor's wall of big, invasive bamboos that have choked out the shrubs at the bottom of my garden would succumb, but I have a very nice clumping one that grows about six feet high, and in the past 40 years has not spread to more than a six-foot clump. Is the dead look a result of the see-saw weather this
year?
We have had extreme cold in past years, but this year we have had so
many ups and downs.  I hope some of the bamboos recover.

I wish I could send a picture of the parade of 21 turkeys through my garden
one day this week.  We frequently have a flock of 11 or 12 that parade
through
the driveway, but this was really a sight. There were a couple of really
grand
toms, each leading his harem.

Auralie