From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of Bonnie & Bill Morgan
Sent: Saturday, May 03, 2003 5:51 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: RE: [CHAT] runner plants

Richard, honest to goodness, my tansy (the same kind as Donna's,) never
grows over 2-3ft tall and is quite well behaved in a semi shade environment.
It is really a lovely plant that I don't want to be without.  For me, it has
been very useful. It has been especially good around the foundation of the
house for me (no ants indoors thus far--knock on wood)  It wards off many
undesirable insects for me and is wonderful in a tussy mussy or indoor
arrangement in place of ferns and great for pressed flower arrangements,
potpourri, etc.  My little patch has remained only 2 1/2 by 2 1/2 feet in
diameter for the last several years.  It has traveled very little.  My
neighbor on the other side of the street, however, put hers in the sun
(against my recommendation) and hers has spread considerably around the
foundation of her deck.  Originally, she had it growing in a large pot in
the sun, but decided she liked it enough to put in around the deck
foundation.  I do hope she doesn't regret that decision this summer!

Was your tansy in the sun or a different variety?  I'm forever putting
"runner type" plants in semi-shady situations to control them--including
mints!  It seems to work wonders.  I have the plant materials I desire
without worrying about them taking over the yard.  I think many plants run
amuck when they are in "ideal" conditions that are well behaved in less than
ideal conditions.  I feared the worst myself, but here, my fears have not
been justified.  Just in case though, I always warn people that I give
starts to that this plant or that plant CAN be invasive or take over their
gardens if they don't put it into a confined or shady area.  I'm really
sorry you had such an awful experience with your tansy.

Blessings,

Bonnie